Friday, January 29, 2016

Harissa Chicken

OMG this is just sooooo delicious, my mouth is watering in anticipation of just describing it. I make it quite often, usually with a whole chicken and the marinade stuffed into cuts in the meat. Today was just legs and wings. I put a big dollop of very good, spicy harissa (bought by my brother at the market in Tunisia) into my pestle & mortar. I add a couple of cloves of roughly chopped garlic, a couple of roughly chopped spring onions, vegetable oil, lemon juice and Maldon salt, and pound and grind it to a rough paste. I often marinade the meat in the paste for a few hours, but also often don't get organised in time. Today I just smothered it on the chicken pieces and immediately roasted at 180˚C. With about half and hour left to go I pour in some red wine. Trust me, this reeeeaaaally works! You get crispy, very tasty, spicy chicken plus a most wonderful sauce. Had it with roast potatoes, leftover coleslaw, mixed leaves, cherry toms, and avocado with lime and salt. Far too much wine this evening.

This harissa mix works really well with lamb too.

No comments:

Post a Comment