Monday, February 22, 2016

Vegetarian Set Menu & Raw Herring & Jenever

It was my friend's 40th birthday meal. I was staying in Amsterdam with her and her boyfriend, so I booked a table at a French-inspired Mediterranean restaurant, La Vallade, that had been recommended by a someone I know who lives there (Amsterdam not Med). I was excited as it was a set menu, but we were all a bit disappointed when we found it was vegetarian night. It was very nice but nothing special, and I'm not sure it was worth €35 each for the four courses - spicy lentil soup (tasty), salad (OK but very forgettable and no enough acid), aubergine parmigiana (heavy, bit bland - not enough acid or salt), nice frozen hazelnut thing. Should have gone to the Ethiopian place we saw the day before.

Oh! And in the afternoon we had traditional raw herring with raw onion and gherkin from a stall by the flower market (should be called 'bulb' market), then tried jenever (precursor to gin) at the ancient and fabulous 'tasting tavern', Wynand Fockink.

No comments:

Post a Comment